The Authorized Nuclear Inspector Course (N) is a five-day course that presents ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section III, Div. 1, Rules for Construction of Nuclear Facility Components requirements for classification of components and design of nuclear power plant items. The course also presents welding, nondestructive examination, and materials requirements for ASME Section III, Div. 1.
This course will allow those passing the final exam to receive a Nuclear "N" Endorsement, provided all other requirements of RCI-1, NB-263, Rules for Commissioned Inspectors, are also met.
After attending this training students will be able to:
- Describe the classification of nuclear items
- Define the responsibilities of an owner and "N" Certificate holder
- Assess design specifications, design reports, load capacity data sheets, and design report summaries
- Evaluate a Metallic Material Organization's Quality System Program
- Assess AIA, ANIS, and ANI responsibilities and duties
- Explain stamping and data reports
- Interpret welding requirements
- Evaluate Nondestructive Examination (NDE) Methods
- Evaluate impact testing
Included with the tuition for this course is the ASME Nuclear Code Reading Primer online training. In the confirmation email sent to students six weeks prior to the start of class, students will be provided access to this new online training. Completing this training prior to the start of class is highly recommended.
Each student is required to bring the following materials (currently mandated edition):
- National Board RCI-1, NB-263, Rules for Commissioned Inspectors
- ASME Section III, Subsections NCA, NB, NC, and ND
- ASME Section V, Nondestructive Examination
- ASME Section IX, Welding and Brazing Qualifications
- ASME QAI-1, Qualifications for Authorized Inspection
- ASME NQA-1, Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Application
- ASNT SNT-TC-1A
NOTE: The National Board adheres to copyright restrictions of all codes and standards. Students should be aware or know this when registering for National Board training.
Criteria for Successful Completion
As a minimum, for a National Board Certificate of Successful Completion and IACET CEUs to be issued, students must:
- complete online pre-work course,
- actively participate in classroom assignments,
- have a minimum attendance of 90%,
- complete the course evaluation survey, and
- achieve a 70% or higher on the final examination.
2.9 CEUs Issued
Who Should Attend
Nuclear Industry Professionals
The final examination is held on the last day of this course. Individuals seeking the related endorsement should reference the Candidate Handbook for further information.
Frequently Asked Questions