The Repair Inspector Course (R) is a four-day course designed to provide commissioned inspectors an understanding of the inspection requirements for repairs and alterations to boilers and pressure vessels. Topics include the duties and responsibilities of the repair inspector; quality systems; welding processes and postweld heat treatment; fabrication rules; nondestructive examination; and proper completion of repair forms.
This course will allow those passing the final exam to receive an Repair "R" Endorsement, provided all other requirements of RCI-1, NB-263, Rules for Commissioned Inspectors, are also met.
Learning Outcomes Course Agenda
After attending this training students will be able to:
- Describe repair inspector duties and responsibilities
- Understand the accreditation process and "R" Stamp program
- Evaluate repair and alteration plans
- Understand the requirements of a quality system
- Explain welding fundamentals and processes
- Recognize nondestructive examination requirements and methods
- Understand material identification requirements
- Verify calculations as related to a repair and/or alteration
- Explain stamping requirements
- Understand requirements for completing repair forms
Each student is required to bring the following materials (currently mandated edition):
- RCI-1, NB-263, Rules for Commissioned Inspectors
- National Board Inspection Code, Part 3, Repairs and Alterations
- NB-415, Accreditation of Repair Organizations
- ASME Section I, Power Boilers
- ASME Section IV, Heating Boilers
- ASME Section VIII, Div. 1, Pressure Vessels
- ASME Section IX, Welding and Brazing
- ASME B31.1, Power Piping
- Non-programmable scientific calculator
NOTE: The National Board adheres to copyright restrictions of all codes and standards. Students should be aware or know this when registering for National Board training.
Criteria for Successful Completion
As a minimum, for a National Board Certificate of Successful Completion and IACET CEUs to be issued, students must:
- actively participate in classroom assignments,
- have a minimum attendance of 90%,
- complete the course evaluation survey, and
- achieve a passing score on the examination.
2.1 CEUs Issued
Who Should Attend
Individuals seeking an NB Repair Endorsement
Individuals wanting a refresher in repair inspection
The National Board Repair Inspector Examination is held on the last day of this course. Individuals seeking the related endorsement should reference the Candidate Handbook for further information.
Frequently Asked Questions