The National Board Pressure Equipment Inspector Certification Program is an elective program designed to enhance an individual’s knowledge of inspection processes associated with boilers and pressure vessels and piping. It provides for individuals who perform inspection work to receive credentials and be recognized for their efforts.
The National Board PEI may be an independent contractor or may be employed by a manufacturer, repair organization, owner of pressure equipment or any other entity that performs inspection type work.
The Pressure Equipment Inspector’s certification does not authorize the individual to perform inspections required by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (ASME BPVC) that are performed by Authorized Inspectors or inspections required by the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) that are performed by National Board Commissioned Inspectors.
The National Board PEI Certification Program recognizes three areas of inspection: inservice, ASME construction, and repairs/alterations.
Individuals primarily involved with inservice inspection and other related activities such as the installation, operation, maintenance, repair or alterations of/to boilers, pressure vessels, or piping are covered under the category of Inservice. For those interested in the Inservice category, the following is required:
- attend the National Board Inservice Inspector Commission Course,
- receive a passing score on the Inservice Inspector Commission examination, and
- have a minimum of three years work experience.
Individuals primarily involved with inspections and other activities related to boilers, pressure vessels, or piping while being constructed or fabricated are covered under the category of ASME Construction. For those interested in the ASME Construction category, the following is required:
- attend the National Board Authorized Inspector Commission (AI) Course,
- receive a passing score on the Authorized Inspector Commission (AI) examination, and
- have a minimum of three years of work experience.
Individuals involved with repair and alterations of boilers and pressure vessels as a result of inservice or ASME construction activities can further enhance their knowledge by selecting the optional category of Repair. For those interested in the Repair category, the following is required:
- Successful completion and certification of/in either the National Board IS or AI Course,
- attend the National Board Repair Inspector Course (R), and
- receive a passing score on the (R) examination.
Upon successful completion of all the requirements and making application, each candidate will be issued a Certificate and a Certification card. The Certification card will be issued for a one (1) year period and may be renewed annually.