Are you a creative professional looking for a reliable work environment where your ideas and contributions are valued? A place where your work makes an impact, and you can distinguish yourself as the go-to expert writer and editor?
NBBI is the worldwide leader in pressure equipment safety. Our offices are centrally located in Columbus, Ohio, and our Communications Department is actively seeking a publications editor. In this role you will lead the editorial vision for an industry-leading trade magazine that has been in print since 1943. This position offers diverse tasks: writing, editing, content sourcing and relationship building, social media/marketing activity, and helping to plan and execute industry meetings and events. We also want your fresh ideas and collaborative energy to develop new materials. The Communications Department is a small group of creatives who work independently and together to make a big impact in our specialized but vital industry.
When you join the NBBI organization, you receive job stability (we’ve been around for over 101 years), a friendly atmosphere (no corporate grind here), great hours, over 17 paid holidays a year (in addition to flexible time off), and other great benefits. Join our team and put your creative writing, editing, and publication management experience to work.
Editorial Oversight and Content Curation of the BULLETIN Magazine and other Communications Department Projects
- Plans, develops, strategizes, and produces the organization’s professional technical journal, the BULLETIN, which is published three times a year.
- Edits and proofs drafts through the process to a final version; obtains supporting images; and proofs the completed magazine before it goes to print.
- Researches and writes stories, briefs, and content as needed.
- Writes/edits headlines, cutlines/image captions.
- Recruits and maintains positive, professional relationships with engineering staff and outside industry experts.
- Guides the progress of staff contributors and outsourced vendors (authors, proofreaders) to ensure deadlines are met.
- Conducts editorial meetings with executive staff and staff engineers to generate ideas and assign articles for future issues.
- Layout/design input, in cooperation with design manager.
Website and Social Media Management
- Develops and/or edits content for the National Board website and social media channels, brochures, marketing pieces, and other materials.
- Assists with website management in cooperation with web administrator and department personnel. Regularly updates the website with fresh content.
- In conjunction with Communications Department, oversees/manages social media channels, including public relations functions such as responding to comments/ coordinating assistance requests from members and the public that come in via website or social media inquiries.
Style Guide and Editorial Consistency
- Develops and maintains a National Board Style Guide for use by the Communications Department (BULLETIN, website, social media, press releases, etc.).
- Continually monitors the style guide to suggest improvements, changes, and edits as the need may arise to ensure its relevancy to the organization and public.
- Maintains organizational systems and editorial calendars to meet deadlines, track progress, and index body of work.
- Works closely with Communications Director and department staff on other communications, marketing, and meeting planning projects.
- Projects a positive image of the National Board and its activities, both internally and externally; interacts with executives, distinguished members, staff, and industry experts with enthusiasm and professionalism.
- Assists with the organization’s meetings and events planning and performs other department tasks and administrative support functions as needed.
- Develops internal communications (intranet) on behalf of the organization.
- Possess proficient writing, proofreading, editing, and copyediting skills.
- Manage multiple creative and administrative tasks simultaneously, under deadlines, while turning out quality work. Attention to detail is critical.
- Take initiative to research and write fresh industry-related content for the publication.
- Ability to take complex or poorly-written material and prepare it for a general audience.
- Possess pride of ownership in all job responsibilities and maintain a positive, team-oriented attitude.
- Fulltime employee
- Opportunity for hybrid work schedule
- Opportunity for company travel
Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, or journalism; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Five (5) years of professional editing and writing
- Managing print and online publication processes
- Website and social media content management
- Technical writing experience desirable, but not necessary
- Microsoft Office Programs: Required
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign helpful
Please submit your resume to Julie Diehl at email@example.com. Please specify the position for which you are appyling.