R Certificate of Authorization
The National Board offers the Certificate of Authorization and R symbol stamp for the repair and/or alteration of boilers, pressure vessels, and other pressure-retaining items. Requirements are described in NB-415, Accreditation of R Repair Organizations (en Español).
Organizations seeking a National Board R Certificate of Authorization must:
- have and maintain an inspection agreement with an Authorized Inspection Agency;
- have a written quality system that complies with the requirements of the current edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) and includes the expected scope of activities;
- have the current edition of all parts of the NBIC. Organizations have the option of using either a printed version or an electronic version, including a subscription from a National Board licensed reseller, to fulfill this requirement;
- have available a copy of the code of construction appropriate for the intended scope of work; and
- complete the NB-12, Application for the National Board R Certificate of Authorization.
The NB-12 should be submitted, along with a copy of the first page of the organization's contract with their Authorized Inspection Agency, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prior to issuance of a National Board R Certificate of Authorization, the organization and its facilities are subject to an onsite review of its quality system.
Renewal, extension, revision, and replacement/additional stamp(s) applications for the R Certificate of Authorization are now located on the National Board Business Center. Once logged in with the company’s Certificate Administrator credentials, click the Stamps & Marks tab to view all online applications.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any issues or questions regarding your company’s Certificate Administrator login to the Business Center.
The certificate fee for the R Certificate of Authorization is $660 USD for a three-year period. For new issuances, there will be an additional one-time charge of $75 USD for the loan of the steel R symbol stamp.
Joint Review Fees/Advance Deposit:
The review of an organization’s quality control system for R certification can be performed in conjunction with its ASME review (referred to as a Joint Review), where applicable, or as a standalone review if the organization does not hold an ASME Certificate.
The review may be conducted by a National Board member jurisdiction or by a representative of the National Board, depending upon jurisdictional requirements.
Joint review fees or an advance deposit for the review may be required. Once an application is received, we will determine who will perform the quality control system review and the associated joint review fees/advance deposit. We will then send a proforma invoice showing the total amount due.
Withdrawal of an application in-process will result in a $330 USD application withdrawal fee.
Shop review cancellations after having been scheduled by the National Board will result in a $360 USD review cancellation fee, plus any loss of incurred expenses.
Organizations holding an R Certificate of Authorization who change their company name, division, abbreviation, location, and/or scope must complete a revision application through the National Board Business Center. Within the revision application the organization will be required to submit a copy of their QC Manual cover sheet showing the change(s) and a copy of the page of their QC Manual showing AIA acceptance.
NOTE: If the change is being done at the time of the renewal, the changes should be noted on the renewal application; a separate revision application does not need to be submitted.
The Certificate revision fee is $50 USD.
The appropriate jurisdiction will be notified of any location changes, and a review at the new location may be required.
If ownership of an organization changes, the new owners may agree to take full responsibility for all work previously performed under the R Certificate of Authorization. If the new owners do not want to take responsibility for previous work performed under the organization’s R Certificate, the new owners shall submit an NB-12 form to apply for a new R Certificate of Authorization, in which a new R number will be assigned.
Organizations needing to update/change their primary contact or contact information (title/phone/email) should log into the National Board Business Center using their company Certificate Administrator credentials, click the Stamps & Marks tab, and then click the applicable Contact Change link.
NOTE: If the contact update/change is being done at the time of the renewal, the updates/changes should be noted on the renewal application; the contact change link does not need to be used.
If there are questions on the certification program, please contact the Technical Department—Accreditation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment of the certificate fee, stamp and advance deposit, if applicable, can be made as follows:
- By check payable in U.S. Dollar, drawn on a U.S. Bank, to The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors and remit to the address below, to the attention of the Accounting Department.
- For all other payment types, please contact the Accounting Department as follows:
- ACH (preferable) — send your ACH authorization form to the Accounting Department for banking information by mail or fax.
- Credit Cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express) — send credit card information by fax or call the Accounting Department.
- Accounting Department contact information:
||1055 Crupper Avenue
Columbus, OH 43229
||614.888.8320 ext. 217
PLEASE NOTE: FOR SECURITY REASONS, WE DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARD INFORMATION VIA EMAIL.