NR Certificate of Authorization
The National Board offers the Certificate of Authorization and NR symbol stamp for the repair and replacement of nuclear components. Requirements are described in NB-417, Accreditation of NR Repair Organizations.
Organizations seeking a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization must:
- have and maintain an inspection agreement with an Authorized Inspection Agency;
- have a written quality system that complies with the requirements of the current edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) and includes the expected scope of activities;
- have the current edition of all parts of the NBIC. Organizations have the option of using either a printed version or an electronic version, including a subscription from a National Board licensed reseller, to fulfill this requirement;
- have available a copy of the code of construction appropriate for the intended scope of work and a copy of ASME Section XI;
- complete the NB-163, Application for the National Board NR Certificate of Authorization; and
- complete the NB-223, Pre-Survey Questionnaire.
The NB-163 and NB-223 should be submitted, along with a copy of the first page of the organization's contract with their Authorized Inspection Agency, to email@example.com.
Prior to issuance of a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization, the organization and its facilities are subject to a review of its quality system (referred to as a survey).
Renewal, extension, revision, and replacement/additional stamp(s) applications for the NR Certificate of Authorization are now located on the National Board Business Center. Once logged in with the company’s Certificate Administrator credentials, click the Stamps & Marks tab to view all online applications.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues or questions regarding your company’s Certificate Administrator login to the Business Center.
The certificate fee for the NR Certificate of Authorization is $660 USD for a three-year period. For new issuances, there will be an additional one-time charge of $75 USD for the loan of the steel NR symbol stamp.
Survey Fees/Advanced Deposit:
Surveys are conducted by the National Board and require an advance deposit of $6,000 USD.
Withdrawal of an application in-process will result in a $330 USD application withdrawal fee.
Shop review cancellations after having been scheduled by the National Board will result in a $360 USD review cancellation fee, plus any loss of incurred expenses.
Organizations holding an NR Certificate of Authorization who change their company name, division, abbreviation, location, and/or scope must complete a revision application through the National Board Business Center. Within the revision application the organization will be required to submit a copy of their QC Manual cover sheet showing the change(s) and a copy of the page of their QC Manual showing AIA acceptance.
NOTE: If the change is being done at the time of the renewal, the changes should be noted on the renewal application; a separate revision application does not need to be submitted.
The Certificate revision fee is $50 USD.
The appropriate jurisdiction will be notified of any location changes, and a review at the new location may be required.
If ownership of an organization changes, the new owners may agree to take full responsibility for all work previously performed under the NR Certificate of Authorization. If the new owners do not want to take responsibility for previous work performed under the organization’s NR Certificate, the new owners shall submit an NB-163 form to apply for a new NR Certificate of Authorization, in which a new NR number will be assigned.
Organizations needing to update/change their primary contact or contact information (title/phone/email) should log into the National Board Business Center using their company Certificate Administrator credentials, click the Stamps & Marks tab, and then click the applicable Contact Change link.
NOTE: If the contact update/change is being done at the time of the renewal, the updates/changes should be noted on the renewal application; the contact change link does not need to be used.
If there are questions on the certification program, please contact the Technical Department—Accreditation at email@example.com.
Payment of the certificate fee, stamp and advance deposit, if applicable, can be made as follows:
- By check payable in U.S. Dollar, drawn on a U.S. Bank, to The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors and remit to the address below, to the attention of the Accounting Department.
- For all other payment types, please contact the Accounting Department as follows:
- ACH (preferable) — send your ACH authorization form to the Accounting Department for banking information by mail or fax.
- Credit Cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express) — send credit card information by fax or call the Accounting Department.
- Accounting Department contact information:
||1055 Crupper Avenue
Columbus, OH 43229
||614.888.8320 ext. 217
PLEASE NOTE: FOR SECURITY REASONS, WE DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARD INFORMATION VIA EMAIL.