The National Board offers the Certificate of Authorization and NR symbol stamp for the repair and replacement of nuclear components. Requirements are described in NB-417, Accreditation of NR Repair Organizations.
Organizations seeking a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization must complete NB-163, Application for the National Board NR Certificate of Authorization and:
- have and maintain an inspection agreement with an authorized inspection agency,
- have a written quality system that complies with the requirements of the current edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) and includes the expected scope of activities,
- have the current edition of all parts of the NBIC. Organizations have the option of using either a printed version or an electronic version, including a subscription from a National Board licensed reseller, to fulfill this requirement; and,
- have available a copy of the code of construction appropriate to the intended scope of work and a copy of ASME Section XI; and
- have completed NB-223, Pre-Survey Questionnaire and submitted to National Board at least 30 days prior to the survey described below.
Prior to issuance of a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization, the organization and its facilities are subject to a review of its quality system (referred to as a survey).
The certificate fee for the NR Certificate of Authorization is $660 USD for a three-year period. For new issuances, there will be an additional one-time charge of $75 USD for the loan of the steel NR symbol stamp.
Survey Fees/Advanced Deposit:
Surveys are conducted by the National Board and require an advance deposit as described below:
Withdrawal of an application in-process will result in a $330 USD cancellation fee. If a survey has been scheduled and is cancelled, other cancellation fees may apply.
Organizations holding an NR Certificate of Authorization who change ownership, name, location, and/or scope(s) must submit an NB-397, Certificate of Authorization Revision Request, application signed by both a company representative and the Authorized Inspection Agency representative accepting the change(s), along with a copy of their quality control manual revisions. There is a fee of $50 USD to change a certificate.
NOTE: If the location, name, and/or scope change is being done at the time of renewal, an NB-397 does not need to be submitted, and the $50 revision fee is not needed. The revision should be noted on the NB-12 application for renewal.
If there are questions on the certification program, please Contact Us (Accreditation) or email/fax the Accreditation Department.
Payment of the certificate fee, stamp and advance deposit, if applicable, can be made as follows:
- By check payable in U.S. Dollar, drawn on a U.S. Bank, to The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors and remit to the address below, to the attention of the accounting department.
- For all other payment types, please contact the accounting department as follows:
- ACH (preferable) — send your ACH authorization form to the accounting department for banking information by mail or fax.
- Credit Cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express) — send credit card information by fax or call the accounting department.
- Accounting Department contact information:
PLEASE NOTE: FOR SECURITY REASONS, WE DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARD INFORMATION VIA EMAIL.