New NBIC 2019 Edition Now Available!
The 2019 edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) is now available for purchase and will become mandatory on January 1, 2020. Click here to order the new NBIC.
The multitude of volunteers that make up the NBIC committees and task groups have put a substantial amount of work into revising and updating this edition, resulting in 99 significant improvements.
Some highlights include the following:
- Part 1
- New requirements for the installation of carbon monoxide detectors for rooms containing fuel fired boilers and pressure vessels.
- A new Supplement 7, Installation of Graphite Pressure Equipment.
- Part 2
- Updated inspection requirements and guidance for Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy (PVHOs).
- New instructions for the replacement of stampings and nameplates, which includes an update to Form NB-136.
- A new subsection for Supplement 2 on the firing of historical boilers with liquid or gaseous fuels.
- Part 3
- New requirements and guidance for the NR Program.
- New requirements and guidance for brazing and fusing.
- Updates to the list of Standard Welding Procedure Specifications (SWPSs).
- New requirements and guidance for the repair of plate heat exchangers.
- New instructions and guidelines for the R-1, R-2, R-3, and R-4 repair forms.
- New requirements and guidelines for the installation of boiler flues.
- New requirements and guidelines for testing tube plug repairs in graphite pressure vessels.
- Part 4
- Updated requirements and guidance for pressure relief valves for steam heating boilers.
- New accreditation requirements for the T/O Testing Only program.
- New requirements and guidance for repairs of nuclear safety related pressure relief devices.
- A new Supplement 7, Recommended Procedures for Test Only of Pressure Relief Valves.