The National Board offers the Certificate of Authorization and VR symbol stamp for the repair of pressure relief valves. Requirements are described in NB-514, Accreditation of VR Repair Organizations.
Organizations seeking a National Board VR Certificate of Authorization must complete NB-550, Application for National Board VR Certificate of Authorization to Repair Pressure Relief Valves and:
- have a written quality system that complies with the requirements of the current edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) and includes the expected scope of activities;
- have the current edition of all three parts of the NBIC*; and
- have available a copy of the code of construction appropriate to the intended scope of work.
*Organizations have the option of using either a printed version or an electronic version, including a subscription from a National Board licensed reseller, to fulfill this requirement.
Prior to issuance of a National Board VR Certificate of Authorization, the organization and its facilities are subject to a review of its quality system. An important part of that review will be the witnessing of the repair of several sample pressure relief valves.
An independent test for operation and capacity of these sample pressure relief valves will be conducted at a National Board-accepted laboratory. The test is to verify the repaired valves meet applicable ASME Code requirements for performance and relieving capacity.
- The National Board Testing Laboratory is available to perform this testing, along with several other major valve manufacturers which operate National Board-accepted testing laboratories.
- A National Board representative will witness the valve testing.
- Complete the following forms.
- NB-550, Application for National Board VR Certificate of Authorization to Repair Pressure Relief Valves
- NB-552, Control Sheet
- NB-564, Terms and Conditions
- Return forms by e-mail to: email@example.com or mail the forms to:
National Board Test Laboratory
7437 Pingue Drive
Worthington, Ohio 43085
- Payments are to be sent to the National Board Accounting Department. See contract information below in the Payment Options section.
- Pressure Relief Department staff will contact you to schedule a date for the review of the VR Quality System and its implementation, and to witness the repair of the required sample pressure relief valves.
- Certification Fees
The fee for the New Issuance VR Certificate of Authorization (three-year period, includes the loan of VR stamp) is $690 USD.
- Review Fees
The National Board requires an advance deposit as shown:
After completion of the review and the actual cost has been determined, the applicant will be provided with a statement with the amount due or a refund amount.
Applicants who change or cancel their review will be charged a cancellation fee of $315 USD.
Organizations holding a VR Certificate of Authorization and changing their ownership and/or name must submit a revised application along with a copy of their quality control manual revisions. There also is a $50 USD certificate change fee required.
- Summary of Cost
| Certificate Fee
| Loan of VR Symbol Stamp (one-time charge)
| Estimated Review Fees/Expenses
| Total Estimated Cost
If there are questions on the certification program, please Contact Us or email the Pressure Relief Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your check to:
The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
Attention: Accounting Department
1055 Crupper Avenue
Columbus, OH 43229-1183
We also accept MasterCard, Visa and American Express. For security reasons, we do not accept credit card payments via email. If you prefer this method of payment, please call the National Board Accounting Department at 614.888.8320 ext. 217 or fax your information to 614.985.4615.