The 2011 and 2013 editions of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code include a new ASME Code stamp which replaces all of the current ASME pressure relief device stamps (V, HV, NV, UV, UD, TD). The new ASME stamp is the same for all Code stamped items, and is accompanied by a “designator” which identifies the specific product. The designator consists of the letters that were part of the previous Code stamp for that product. The new stamp and designator must be implemented by the end of 2013. (Note 1)
(XX = “designator” of V, HV, UV, NV, UD, or TD)
The new ASME stamp being supplied to ASME Certificate holders is ½” by ½” (12.7 mm x 12.7 mm) which is larger than the previous version. Additional space is also required for the designator, which must also be stamped by the certificate holder (no stamp is supplied for the designator). Finding space for the new stamp and additional designator may be a problem on many pressure relief devices.
An acceptance procedure is available to organizations that wish to use an alternative to the stamp issued by ASME. Alternative methods of applying the stamp must be accepted by ASME, which will be done upon recommendation from the National Board, which is the ASME designated organization.
The alternative method to be considered must meet the following criteria:
- It must be an acceptable facsimile of the ASME stamp.
- The size of the stamp is not restricted, but it must be legible and permanent.
- The procedure for controlling the use of the alternative stamping method must be documented and addressed in the quality program.
Alternative methods that have been used include: roll stamping with a die, laser marking, photosensitive etching, or using metal pin or dot matrix printing.
To have your proposed method of stamping of the new ASME stamp accepted please provide the following information to the Pressure Relief Department:
- A drawing or other method of documenting the arrangement of the new stamping. In some cases this may be a CAD or drafting file identification. The drawing or file must be approved and controlled.
- A sample of the actual stamping method on a nameplate, tag, valve body, or rupture disk holder shall be supplied. A large detailed picture can be used for this purpose.
- A copy of your procedure for controlling use of the stamp.
This information can be sent to the Pressure Relief Department at the following address:
National Board Pressure Relief Department
7437 Pingue Drive
Worthington OH 43085
E-mail to: email@example.com
Please call 614-888-8320 and ask for the Pressure Relief Department for more information.
1. See ASME Code Case N-822-1 for additional information on use of the ASME NV stamp.