The National Board’s goal is to maintain the integrity of the National Board marks and symbols (NB and VR) and the ASME Certification mark with V ,UV, UD, HV, and NV designators. By doing so, we make it possible for National Board members to rely on the presence of these marks in their efforts to protect the general public.
- Pressure Relief Device Certification
The NB mark must be used by pressure relief device manufacturers and assemblers to identify pressure relief devices that have been certified by the National Board in accordance with NB-501, National Board Certification of Pressure Relief Devices
- VR Repair Program
The National Board offers the Certificate of Authorization and VR Symbol Stamp for the repair of pressure relief valves. Requirements are included in the 2013 edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC), Part 3, Section 1 and NB-514, Accreditation of VR Repair Organizations.
- Investigation Testing
The National Board supports members who request tests be conducted on pressure relief devices involved in boiler and pressure vessel accidents. This service is provided at no cost to the National Board member.
- Testing Laboratory
- ASME Designee – Shop Reviews
The National Board is the ASME designee to conduct shop reviews of organizations for the ASME Certification mark with V, HV, UV, and UD designators.
- ASME Designee – Valve Selection and Test Witnessing
Representatives from the National Board are assigned to visit company sites to select production sample valves for testing at National Board- and ASME- accepted labs.
- ASME Designee – Laboratory Acceptance
The National Board supports the following technical committees:
- ASME Subcommittee on Safety Valve Requirements
- ASME Subgroup on Pressure Relief Valves (Section III, Nuclear)
- NBIC Subgroup Pressure Relief Devices
- ISO/TC 185, international committee concerned with overpressure protection
- U.S. Technical Advisory Group on ISO/TC 185
For more information regarding the National Board Pressure Relief Department,
please Contact Us.