The National Board offers the Certificate of Authorization and NR symbol stamp for the repair and replacement of nuclear components. Requirements are described in NB-417, Accreditation of NR Repair Organizations.
Organizations seeking a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization must complete NB-163, Application for the National Board NR Certificate of Authorization and:
- have and maintain an inspection agreement with an authorized inspection agency,
- have a written quality system that complies with the requirements of the current edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) and includes the expected scope of activities,
- have the current edition of all three parts of the NBIC. Organizations have the option of using either a printed version or an electronic version, including a subscription from a National Board licensed reseller, to fulfill this requirement; and,
- have available a copy of the code of construction appropriate to the intended scope of work and a copy of ASME Section XI; and
- have completed NB-223, Pre-Survey Questionnaire and submitted to National Board at least 30 days prior to the review described below.
Prior to issuance of a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization, the organization and its facilities are subject to a review of its quality system (referred to as a survey).
The fee for renewal of the NR Certificate of Authorization is $630 USD for a three-year period. The fee for a new issuance is $690 USD which includes a one-time charge of $60 USD for the loan of the NR stamp.
Surveys are conducted by the National Board and require an advance deposit as described below:
Withdrawal of an application in-process will result in a $315 USD cancellation fee. If a review has been scheduled and is cancelled, other cancellation fees may apply.
Organizations holding an NR Certificate of Authorization who change their ownership and/or name must submit a revised application along with a copy of their quality control manual revisions. There is a fee of $50 USD to change a certificate.
If there are questions on the certification program, please Contact Us (Accreditation) or email/fax the Accreditation Department.
Payment of the certificate fee, stamp and advance deposit, if applicable, can be made by check or by credit card.
If paying by check, please remit to:
The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
Attention: Accounting Department
1055 Crupper Avenue
Columbus, OH 43229-1183
For credit card payments, we accept MasterCard, Visa and American Express. For security reasons, we do not accept credit card payments via email. If you prefer this method of payment, please call the National Board Accounting Department at 614.888.8320 ext. 217 or fax your information to 614.985.4615.