The National Board offers the Certificate of Authorization and NR symbol stamp for the repair and replacement of nuclear components. Detailed requirements are included in the current edition of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC), Part 3, Section 1.
Organizations seeking a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization must complete NB-163, Application for the National Board NR Certificate of Authorization and:
- have and maintain an inspection agreement with an authorized inspection agency;
- have a written quality system that complies with the requirements of the current edition of the NBIC and includes the expected scope of activities;
- have the current edition of all three parts of the NBIC*;
- have available a copy of the code of construction appropriate to the intended scope of work and a copy of ASME Section XI; and
- have completed NB-223, Pre-Survey Questionnaire and submitted to National Board at least 30 days prior to the review described below.
*Organizations have the option of using either a printed version or an electronic version, including a subscription from a National Board licensed reseller, to fulfill this requirement.
Prior to issuance of a National Board NR Certificate of Authorization, the organization and its facilities are subject to a review of its quality system (referred to as a survey).
- Certification Fees
The fee for the NR Certificate of Authorization (three-year period) is $630 USD.
- Review Fees
Reviews may be done by the member jurisdiction or by the National Board, depending upon jurisdictional requirements. Contact the National Board Accreditation Department to determine who will perform the joint review for your facility. Reviews performed by the jurisdiction may require fees, which are determined by the member jurisdiction. Click on Members to contact your jurisdiction. If the National Board performs the review, an advance deposit is required.
- Within the Continental US – $6,000 USD
- Outside of the Continental US – Contact Us for estimated cost and payment methods.
After completion of the review and actual cost has been determined, the applicant will be provided with a statement with the amount due or a refund amount.
Applicants who change or cancel their review will be charged a cancellation fee of $315 USD.
Organizations holding an NR Certificate of Authorization and changing their ownership, name, location, and/or scopes must submit a revised application along with a copy of their quality control manual cover sheet, statement of authority page, and authorized nuclear inspector's signature, including acceptance of the manual/changes.
- Summary of Cost
| Certificate Fee
| Loan of NR Symbol Stamp (one-time charge)
| Estimated Review Fees/Expenses
| Total Estimated Cost
If there are questions on the certification program, please Contact Us or email/fax the Accreditation Department.
Please send your check to:
The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
Attention: Accounting Department
1055 Crupper Avenue
Columbus, OH 43229-1183
We also accept MasterCard, Visa and American Express. For security reasons, we do not accept credit card payments via email. If you prefer this method of payment, please call the National Board Accounting Department at 614.888.8320 ext. 217 or fax your information to 614.888.3505.