Registration of an item with the National Board involves the manufacturer submitting an original manufacturer’s data report to the National Board for permanent retention. Registration is more than record retention; it represents the culmination of a three-step process, including the design and construction of an item in accordance with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (ASME BPV Code), the inspection by a National Board commissioned inspector, and the final documentation certifying compliance with the ASME BPV Code.
Any manufacturer meeting the requirements of NB-264, Criteria for Registration may become authorized to register. There is no charge to become authorized to register, but there is a fee for each item registered.
Manufacturers may register printed original data reports or may set up a National Board Electronic Data Transfer (EDT) account and register items electronically.
A Brief History of National Board Registration is included for reference.
A listing of manufacturers and repair organizations authorized to register is presented in a searchable format in the Manufacturer & Repair Directory.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (ASME BPV Code)/National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) Data Report Forms Revisions
The 2013 revisions to the ASME BPV Code and NBIC data report forms became mandatory on January 1, 2014. Items manufactured/altered/repaired to the 2013 codes must be documented on the current forms.
All data report forms submitted to The National Board for registration on outdated forms will be returned for correction.
Data report forms submitted to The National Board for registration must also meet the following requirements:
- Data report forms must be in the exact format and have the same content as those found in the ASME BPV Code and the NBIC.
- Two-sided data report forms (example: U-1A, R-2) must be submitted as such. It is not acceptable to submit these data report forms on two separate pages.
- Data report forms that have been revised to multiple pages (example: U-1, U-2) must indicate the National Board number on each page in the upper right corner. There must also be space for the company representative and authorized inspector to initial and date all pages (including page 1).
Example: National Board Number: _________________
Mfg. Representative: _________________ Date: _____________
Authorized Inspector: _________________ Date: ______________
- All data report forms and their content must comply with The National Board’s font size requirements. The National Board requires the use of at least a 6 point font size in creating data report forms and at least an 8 point font size on any technical information provided on the data report form (Arial 8 or comparable size in any other font style). The only exception to this will be in sections which have a table format (example: heads and nozzles). In these sections, a 7 point font will be acceptable if the data remains legible.
- Data report forms, including all attachments (supplemental sheets and partial data report forms), submitted for registration must be legible. The legibility of data reports is subject to review/acceptance by The National Board staff.
In order to minimize the impact of the recent revisions, consideration should be given to using The National Board’s Electronic Data Transfer (EDT) System for submitting data reports for registration. EDT simplifies the entire process, eliminates the return of data reports for non-conformance issues and ensures the most up-to-date forms.
Please contact Donna Radcliff – email@example.com – for more information regarding EDT.