The Authorized Inspector Commission Course (AI) is a two-week course that introduces design, material quality control, and manufacturing process requirements described in ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Sections I and IV for boilers and ASME Section VIII, Division 1 for pressure vessels. This course exposes students to nondestructive examination, welding, and quality system requirements, and is essential for individuals seeking to perform inspections during construction of boilers and pressure vessels constructed to ASME Code.
This course will allow those passing the final exam to receive an Authorized Inspector Commission, provided all other requirements of NB-263, RCI-1, Rules for Commissioned Inspectors, are also met.
After attending this training students will be able to:
- Describe the role of the Authorized Inspector (AI)
- Evaluate Quality Control programs
- Use design calculations from ASME Code
- Evaluate impact testing results
- Recognize material requirements
- Recognize manufacturer process development and controls
- Interpret welding requirements
- Evaluate nondestructive examination (NDE) methods
- Assess pressure relief devices
- Perform inspections and tests
- Explain markings and data reports
Included with the tuition for this course are two online courses: ASME Code Reading Primer and Basic Mathematics: Operations and Formulas. Included in the confirmation email sent to students six weeks prior to the start of class, students will be provided access to this online training. Completing this training prior to the start of class is highly recommended since it is not covered in the classroom.
Each student is required to bring the following materials (currently mandated edition):
- ASME Section I, Power Boilers
- ASME Section IV, Heating Boilers
- ASME Section V, Nondestructive Examination
- ASME Section VIII, Div. 1, Pressure Vessels
- ASME Section IX, Welding and Brazing Qualifications
- ASME QAI-1, Qualifications for Authorized Inspection
- ASME B31.1, Power Piping
NOTE: The National Board adheres to copyright restrictions of all codes and standards. Students should be aware or know this when registering for National Board training.
Criteria for Successful Completion
As a minimum, for a National Board Certificate of Successful Completion and IACET CEUs to be issued, students must:
- complete all online pre-work,
- actively participate in classroom assignments,
- have a minimum attendance of 90%,
- complete the course evaluation survey, and
- achieve a 70% or higher on the final examination.
7.6 CEUs Issued
Who Should Attend
Responsible for Design and Fabrication
The final examination is held on the last day of this course. Individuals seeking the related commission and endorsement should reference the Candidate Handbook for further information.
Frequently Asked Questions