Presentation Style: Documentary
Continuing Education Qualification: None
Approximate Time: 5 hours
ASME Code Reading Primer, is an online course designed to assist those seeking to learn the fundamentals of reading and understanding the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.
It is important to understand how the Code is written to fully understand and implement ASME rules. Throughout this course, students will gain a solid understanding for the general format, style, and language used in reading the ASME Code. Also included in the content of this course is essential knowledge for understanding the philosophy behind the ASME Code, opportunities to navigate the Code to quickly locate Code rules, and necessary Code reading background information.
What Is Covered
The course curriculum comprises the following:
- History and Perspective,
- Code Book Organization,
- Code Content Structure,
- Reading Fundamentals,
- Application Steps, and
- Practical Experience Using ASME Code.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- describe the philosophy underlying the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
- use the Table of Contents and Index within an ASME Code section to quickly locate key information
- recall the ASME Code structure to quickly locate specific information, for example: Sections, Parts, Articles, Paragraphs, Figures, Tables, Forms, etc.
- define the meaning of key words used in the Code, such as: shall, will, should, may, can
- define Code rule reading fundamentals, such as: parenthesis, footnotes, and punctuation (commas, colons, semi-colons)
- apply the ASME Code Reading principles to industry specific manufactured products
Each student is required to have the following materials (currently mandated edition):
- ASME Section I, Rules for Construction of Power Boilers
- ASME Section IV, Rules for Construction of Heating Boilers
- ASME Section VIII, Div. 1, Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels
- ASME Standard B31.1, Power Piping
Note: ASME Code and Standards may be ordered through the ASME Web site.
Criteria for Successful Completion
As a minimum, for a National Board Certificate of Completion to be issued, students must:
- actively participate in all online course interactions
- respond to all knowledge check questions
- complete the course evaluation survey
*The Online Training Center requires students to request a student account to enroll.
Who Should Enroll
Anyone with an interest in the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
Although there is no formal assessment for this online course, various Knowledge Checks are incorporated throughout the training to provide feedback to students on their understanding of the information.
Frequently Asked Questions